The Culbert Family Genealogy Project:
 Connecting a Migratory People

R.C. CULBERT

Male Bef 1907 - Yes, date unknown


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name R.C. CULBERT  [1
    Born Bef 1907  [1
    Gender Male 
    Died Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID I14007  Culbert
    Last Modified 24 Apr 2015 

  • Photos
    Rossendale United Church
    Rossendale United Church

  • Notes 
    • "History of Rossendale United Church: 1907-2000" [Manitoba, Canada] [image]
      -------------------
      "Previous to the building of the present church, worship was held in a little log schoolhouse one mile north and one half mile east of the present village, then known as Loveville. Members agreed to build the church on the lot donated by Mr. William Moffatt. Rosendale church was officially opened on the last Sunday in June 1907. Two ministers, Rev. D. R. Lowry (Presbyterian) and Mr. Abegglen (Methodist) served the field at that time. The charge included several points until 1972 when we became a single charge holding services from Easter until Christmas. Many ministers, ordained, student and lay have served their church over the years. The first organist was Miss Elizabeth CULBERT followed by Mrs. T.A. Sloan, Mr. Louis Ford, Mrs. T.N. Ferguson, Mrs. Margaret Watson and presently Mrs. Margaret Woodward. The first Secretary Treasurer was Mr. R.C. CULBERT followed by Mr. A.B. CULBERT, Mr. James CULBERT and Mrs. Margaret Watson. Mr. Marb Ward became treasurer succeeded by Mr. Carl McGregor, Mrs. Margaret Watson and Mrs. Lynn Hayward while Mrs. Betty Dromun was Secretary. Mrs. Marion MacDougall assumed Secretary Treasurer duties. Mrs. Katherine Anderson presently serves as Secretary, while Mr. James Dickson has assumed treasurer's duties. The present board is Robert Moffat (chair), Carl McGregor, Margaret Watson, Enid Thompson, Maxine Schroeder, Lee Tomchuk, Jim Dickson, Ed Tomchuck, Katherine Anderson, Freda Moffat, and Dixie Tomchuk. Over the years our church had been faithfully supported by friends of the community. Our Women's Group, though the name changed, has served the needs of our congregation with unchanging efforts. The executive of the U.C.W. is currently Maxine Schroeder, Catharina Allen, Margaret Watson, Margaret Woodward, Mary Sylvester, Freda Moffatt and Norah Nicoll. In 1986 our church was moved to a new foundation on the south side of our property. Since then, we have had electric heat and new windows installed. Memorial stained glass windows were purchased by individual families; the U.C.W. donated an electric organ. In the spring of 2000 the church had vinyl siding added, and a successful planting party added trees, shrubs, and flowers to beautify the grounds. We are proud of our little church "By the Side of the Road" and we thank God for the men and women of the past and present, who, by their dedication have kept this church alive. We look forward to the future, asking God's blessing on this Rossendale United Church and its congregation."
      [Last Viewed: Sep 15, 2004]
      [see also: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/rossendaleunited.shtml]

  • Sources 
    1. [S1234] History of Rossendale United Church.
      See Notes for web page contents.